We’re finally getting around to cranking up the Member Spotlight again, where each month we’ll get to know more about one of the people you’re working out with. This month, the spotlight shines on Mary Muzzulin!
Mary first got a brief introduction to CrossFit back in 2010. Just a few months into her CrossFit journey she had to stop due to an accident. You know when you see someone’s car broken down beside the road and a State Trooper will be there with their lights on to make sure no one drives into the disabled car? Turns out the flashing lights don’t help when the driver approaching the disabled vehicle is drunk and fleeing the scene of the accident he just caused a little further down the road.
Mary’s had a long recovery because of that accident, but after years of physical therapy and doctor appointments, she’s finally back to CrossFit and doing awesome. She came in a very close second place in the Whole Life Challenge with big numbers all across the board and finished the challenge almost twenty pounds lighter than she started!
Enough talk from me, let’s see what Mary has to say about herself:
- Where did you grow up?
- When did you become a member at CrossFit Zenith and what made you join?
I joined CFZ this past July. I was sidelined with several injuries since 2010 and when I was ready to return (with a couple limitations) I wanted to start fresh at a new gym. I knew Brian and Barbara opened a box and thought it would be a good fit. I was right!
- What do you do when you are not at CrossFit Zenith? (occupation, hobbies, etc.)
I’ve been a State Trooper for over 14 years. When that’s not taking up my time I enjoy entertaining my dogs, camping, hiking, and photography.
- How did you find out about CrossFit?
I was a member of CF New Haven in 2010 before a car accident sidelined me. I think I saw their giant sign from I-91 and looked into it before signing up.
- What is your favorite moment at CrossFit Zenith?
Definitely running around a cemetery on Halloween night in the dark dressed in a costume in the rain.
- What is your favorite workout and least favorite workout?
Any WOD that involves flipping tires is my fave! Least favorite…? Anything with “Painstorm” in the title.
- Program your perfect WOD
Flipping tires, pulling the sled around, rowing and clean and jerks.
- What is one thing you have done at CrossFit Zenith that you never thought you would do?
Wake up for an 8am WOD.
- What motivates you during a workout?
- What is something about yourself that we might not know?
I am retired from the 103rd CT Air National Guard Security Forces.
- What advice would you give to someone just getting started with CrossFit?
Don’t let the name intimidate you. Listen to your body and most of all have fun!
- You’ve just dropped a 45 lb bumper on your foot and you’re surrounded by first graders. What’s the first word out of your mouth?
- If you could pry the controller out of SqWatts’ hands, what music would we be working out to?
Metallica (the old stuff), Drake, System of a Down, Megadeth, Eminem and Justin Timberlake.