Pretty soon every home gardener is going to have more zucchini than they know what to do with and they’re going to be giving it away to anyone who walks past them. If you are the lucky recipient of some extra zucchini and are looking for something new to cook, try these Stuffed Zucchini Boats! They are deeeelicious!
- 3 zucchinis
- 1/2 large onion, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 5 – 6 slices crispy bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Give the zucchini a quick wash for good measure.
- Slice in half lengthwise.
- Leave the ends on to keep the filling in.
- Scoop out the flesh with a melon baller or a spoon. Leave a ledge of zucchini around the edges.
- Arrange the zucchini boats in a baking dish.
- Chop the zucchini flesh as small as you like.
- Finely chop half a sweet onion.
- Chop up some good smokey bacon.
- Add curry powder… cook until desired doneness of onions and remove from heat.
- To the zucchini flesh, add the sour cream.
- Rough chop some fresh thyme leaves.
- Mix onion and bacon mixture with other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Stir in the tomatoes. Seed them or else there may be too much moisture in the filling.
- Refill the zucchini shells with the filling mixture.
- Grate some good aged Parmigiano Reggiano cheese on top and sprinkle with fresh cracked black pepper.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.