5 Deadlifts @ 60%
10 Ring Rows
It’s that time of the month again and today we’re shining the Member Spotlight on Phil Champagne! Phil has come a long way since being rather reluctantly dragged in here by his wife Krystal. He had tried a workout at another CrossFit and it didn’t go so well. Fortunately she convinced him we’re a lot different than most, and now he’s one of our most die-hard fans. He’s always willing to lend a hand around here and any time you see a new construction project, chances are his fingerprints are all over it. Gross, right?
- Your Name
31 years old
- Where did you grow up?
Grew up in Somers, CT
- When did you become a member at CrossFit Zenith and what made you join?
I believe I officially joined in early March 2014. I joined because my wife tried it out and told me the story of Coach SqWatts. It was very inspiring and it was quickly clear to me that he was very interested in helping people get into shape no matter what their abilities.
- What do you do when you are not at CrossFit Zenith? (occupation, hobbies, etc.)
Well, when I’m not working, I am somewhat of a gear head so I enjoy cars and everything to do with them. I also enjoy building and racing remote control cars, and mountain biking. Really anything that has wheels.
- What is one thing you have done at CrossFit Zenith that you never thought you would do? Do you have any PRs or accomplishments that you’re especially proud of?
I never thought I would be able to do a chin up ever again. I was able to when I was younger but let’s face it, I am by no means small. My most memorable PR was lifting sloth bears…when I broke the 300lb deadlift. I was pretty proud. On to 400!
- How did you find out about CrossFit?
My wife. She tried a Saturday class and got me to go the following week.
- What is your favorite moment at CrossFit Zenith?
When I got my 100 WOD club certificate. It reminded me of how much time I have put in and how far I have come.
- Describe what you remember about your first workout here at CFZ.
I was in horrible shape and I thought I was going to die. Couldn’t breathe, felt like I was going to puke. I am initially a shy person and don’t like change so the whole experience put me on edge. I was discouraged by my inability to do basic things, but Coach Brian was very encouraging and he is the reason it wasn’t my last workout.
- What is your favorite workout and least favorite workout?
Favorite is anything with 200m runs or deadlifts. Least favorite is something with barhop burpees. Those wipe me out like nothing else.
- Program your perfect WOD
5×3 Deadlift (Strength)
12 Minute AMRAP
200 M run
10 Deadlifts (50%)
20 Seconds L sit hang (probably wrong term)
- What motivates you during a workout?
Stress relief and knowing that the harder I work, the more results I will see.
- What is something about yourself that we might not know?
I am completely fascinated by antiques. I attend a big show in Brimfield Massachusetts that I look forward to all year. There is something about walking around seeing all kinds of old items that is totally interesting.
- What advice would you give to someone just getting started with CrossFit?
DO NOT FALL FOR THE NEGATIVE PUBLICITY. It is not true, so do not let it intimidate you. CrossFit is a great way to get yourself into shape as long as you respect your body. Give the process time, you will see results. The best part is, you do not have to do it alone. Not only do you have a great coach at CFZ, you have a family. Everyone is in it together. Take from it what you want.
- You’ve just dropped a 45 lb bumper on your foot and you’re surrounded by first graders. What’s the first word out of your mouth?
Fuck. (sorry kids!)
- If you could pry the controller out of SqWatts’ hands, what music would we be working out to?
Dubstep or metal…for some reason that type of music makes the hurt (good hurt of course) more tolerable.